Custard apples, also well known as ‘‘sharifa’ or ‘‘sitaphal’ northern and
Seetha Pazham in southern part of India.
The name Sitaphal came from Sanskrit words “Sheet” meaning cold and “phal” which of course means fruit, as it is known to cool the body. Here are some awesome health benefits:
- Custard apple is highly calorie laden, and the sugars found in the fruit are responsible for pepping up the metabolism rate in the body. If you want to gain weight then Sitaphal is the best option.
- The B series of vitamins are important for brain health. Just one custard apple provides the average person with 20% of their recommended B vitamins for the day.
- The enzymes in the skin of a custard apple can help with stronger teeth and gums.
- Custard apple is great for healthy skin, healthy hair and better eyesight. It plays a role in moisturisation and anti-aging. One can reduce occurrence of pimples and acne by consuming this delicious fruit regularly.
- Custard apple helps develop nervous system and immune system of a fetus effectively. Regular consumption of custard apple also reduces the risk of miscarriage during pregnancy.
- For anyone suffering from anemia, the humble custard apple can be the right source to increase iron content in the body.
- The delicious custard apple is known to help with digestion issues. It helps wash away the harmful toxins from the intestine and helps with better bowel movements
- Custard apples contain high levels of niacin and dietary fiber, which help lower cholesterol levels.
Cons of the Custard Apple
- Sitaphal is high in calories. The more you consume the more you gain weight.
- The sugar levels in a custard apple are so high that people with diabetes are usually advised not to consume this fruit.