Being native to the Mediterranean region, rocket leaves are commonly known as Arugula which is widely popular as a Salad vegetable in Italy and Portugal. Arugula is only found in northern part of India and not most of us are aware of this awesome salad vegetable.
In India the leaves of arugula are not commonly used however the seeds of the plant are pressed to produce oil known as taramira that is used in medicines It adds flavor to the salad and even help in sex life. Here are some benefits:
- Arugula is composed of 90 percent water that is used to cool food in summer. For same reason it is widely used in Salads.
- Arugula contains glucosinolates which are broken down into powerful compounds in the body. These compounds protect your cells from damage and have been shown to inactivate cancer cells.
- It is said that Arugula contains more calcium that is important for our bones and teeth.
- Arugula contains antioxidants that protect our eyes from UV light and blue light.
- The fiber content helps clean out the colon promoting healthy bowel movements. The photochemicals, antioxidants and essential minerals found in arugula help cleanse out toxins in the body.
- Eating arugula can protect the aging brain and cognitive decline as it contains high amounts of folate