Maylynnong lies in the North Eastern state of Meghalaya, in the East Khasi Hills district. It is considered to be the cleanest village in Asia.
What in Maylynnong inspires us?
1) Mawlynnong is known for its cleanliness. The village is clean not because there’s low level of waste, it is because the local villagers clean their surrounding areas themselves. Waste is collected in dustbins made of bamboo, and is then directed to a pit, where it is used as manure.
2) Smoking and use of polythene is banned in this village.
3) There are about 95 households in this village, with literacy rate of 100% which makes most people speaking English fluently.
4)Mawlynnong is also popular for the living root bridge that’s completely natural phenomenon.This living root bridge is a marvel of nature and human effort. The forefathers of Khasi tribe were the original architects of living root bridges. These Living root bridges are declared as UNESCO World Heritage Site. A must-see place for travelers.
5) Mawlynnong is also known for its Rain water harvesting scheme. Rainwater is harvested in natural stone basins with large cavities. Placed outside every house, these basins collect rain water which is later put to use.
6) To buy land here you have to be Khasi (or approved by a Khasi person). The law makes it very difficult for outside developers to set up resorts and that’s why I believe this village is still the cleanest place of all.
Explore Mawlynnong, Meghalaya
Mawlynnong is located 90 km from Shillong, along the India-Bangladesh border.The major occupation of the locals is agriculture with betel nut being a main crop. The huts in this place are all made of bamboo. One would feel like living in an exotic tree house. Best way to explore the village is setting out on foot. Mawlynnong also has crystal-clear water bodies in there.
Well, i am not promoting tourism in this blog. For travel guide visit : http://nexplore.org/destinations/Meghalaya/mawlynnong.php or
The best time to visit Mawlynnong is from October to March. Please do visit this place once in your lifetime.